Wool from the Merino sheep is one of the best materials for high-intensity sports, hiking, military, LEO, and tactical gear. It's become prized for being ultra-soft, insulating, and moisture-wicking while odor-resistant, mothproof, and flame retardant. It's an excellent natural material that many seek out for their gear and enjoy wearing.
Can Merino Wool Be Washed?
Yes! Here are some simple and easy-to-follow care tips that will keep your Merino socks, base layers, and other clothing looking as great as they feel for a long time.
How to Wash Merino Wool
- If possible, always spot treat as soon as possible. Blot the stain with a clean, damp cloth and rinse and repeat as much as possible.
- Turn your socks and garments inside out before washing.
- While you can machine-wash merino wool, consult the garment's tag to ensure it is safe. If not, handwashing may be the best and safest method as there is a chance your machine could damage fibers.
- Sort and wash like for like colors.
- If possible, wash merino wool alone or with harder materials, like denim. This will reduce piling.
- Machine-wash on gentle or delicates cycle with warm or cool water. Never use hot water as heat can shrink wool.
- Never use strong soaps or detergents, always use mild soap. Never use bleach or fabric softeners. Bleach will destroy the fibers in your Merino wool while fabric softener coats them, reducing their natural ability to manage moisture and regulate your body temperature.
- To reduce creasing and wrinkles, remove any merino wool garments from the washer as soon as it is finished.
- While you may be able to tumble-dry on low some Merino wool, we recommend air drying them instead to extend the life of each of your Merino garments. Lay them flat, as hanging wool can distort the shape, on a towel and in a warm by dry area.
- Of course, you must read the care label for any of your Merino garments or refer to the manufacturer's instructions for care too.
With a bit of care and patience, you can easily wash your Merino wool without worry and ensure its longevity.